Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chris Matthews on the Netroots



I must admit I haven't been paying as close attention to the latest developments in the healthcare bill as I should be. For one I have a life outside The Outspoken Liberal, and secondly I have been focusing more on state issues than national issues. I am very disappointed in some of the developments of the Senate bill (mainly bowing down to Traitor Joe Lieberman) but I don't know enough of the details to really comment everything. I plan on calling Menendez and Lautenberg's offices to see if their staffers will answer a few questions of mine tomorrow.

Back to Chris Matthews-- I can see his point. If he reads over at Daily Kos and Democratic Underground, there ARE people who are threatening to stay home in 2010 if the bill is not up to their standards. I will give him that. However there are also many in the "netroots" including myself that see the political reality. We had many angry Democrats stay home in 2009 in New Jersey and it got us Governor-elect Christie--- a Karl Rove protege. I voted (and campaigned hard) for Corzine despite his flaws. There is a time and place to let your anger be known at the polls within your own party. That is called the primary. Unfortunately many states don't take advantage of it, and I'm fully convinced that if someone else were on the Democratic ticket for NJ governor, we would have held the seat. It's very rare to primary an incumbent, but I think it's a practice that needs to be expanded upon everywhere. Turnout in the primaries is even worse.

I'm the kind of person who loves to prove naysayers wrong. Chris Matthews said that as the netroots, we have no desire to work in public service or hold elected office. I know that is not true for myself (I'm at least 5 years away from running for office myself though-- I want to establish myself in NJ more first). Would I like to work in public office? Absolutely! The more I think about it the more it appeals to me (especially after spending time at the statehouse).

To all you netroots supporters who may be reading this blog. We have to listen to Chris Matthews (even if it is painful to you). We need to turn out in large numbers in 2010 as we did in 2008, and keep enthusiastically going to the polls, and volunteering on campaigns just as we did in 2008. Protesting at the ballot box is not the way to go. Instead get involved locally, just as I have. Take back your local Democratic party and push them to run progressive candidates at all levels, or even run for office yourselves. Remember our fighting words-- yes we can.

1 comment:

djpat2 said...

Chris Matthews sees those of us against the senate bill as a bunch of nuts. He is wrong. There are alot of us out there that are fed up with the lobbyists controlling Congress. This senate bill stinks. I have noticed no one seems to listen to Wendall Potter on this bill. If anyone knows, he does. Let's hope the House can put some needed changes back into it. If not, we are all screwed.