Monday, March 1, 2010

sticker I saw today

As I was driving through Long Branch, a municipality in my county that is predominately Democratic, I saw a disgusting sticker. It read “I love (heart) Gitmo.” Guantanamo Bay, more commonly known as Gitmo, is a detention camp owned by the United States located in Cuba. The Bush administration used it as a prison for foreign terror suspects and used “harsh interrogation techniques” such as waterboarding on detainees. Waterboarding is an act that stimulates drowning. Critics of waterboarding like myself believe it is torture. Most on the right, however, agree with the use of waterboarding. Right-wing radio host Eric “Mancow” Muller underwent waterboarding in May 2009. Previously the radio host did not believe that it was torture, however after undergoing the procedure he changed his mind.

Regardless of how one feels about whether or not waterboarding is torture, Gitmo is commonly associated with torture. Do you really want to drive around in a car with a sticker saying that you love torture? People are free to place whatever stickers they want to on their cars (I’ve seen plenty that I disagree with and I am sure several people disagree with the Democratic stickers on my car), but I just find it rather odd that you would advertise on your car that you love torture. Makes me wonder how this driver treats his/her friends and family.

No comments: